Graduate and Professional Student Instructions

The Office of University Financial Aid processes applications for all of the graduate/professional schools at CWRU with the exception of the CWRU School of Medicine. If you are a medical student, visit the School of Medicine Office of Financial Aid.

Step 1: Initial Application

Complete and submit three forms:

  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  2. The CWRU Financial Aid Form
  3. Arrange to have a Memorandum of Assistance (MOA) sent to the Office of University Financial Aid from your graduate department or professional school. Students enrolled in the School of Dental Medicine are exempt from submitting an MOA.

Step 2: Required Application Supplements

In the course of processing a student's application, the Office of University Financial Aid will sometimes require additional information. Students will be notified of the request via e-mail. You can also check the status of your application at any time through My Financial Aid.

Step 3: Notification of Financial Aid Eligibility

Once Steps 1 and 2 have been completed, the Office of University Financial Aid will notify you of an initial Financial Aid Award. This initial award is based on the data obtained from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and supersedes any estimated awards obtained thus far. The types and amounts of financial assistance given on the initial Financial Aid Award are tentative until all application requirements have been met. Whenever additional documentation is submitted to the Office of University Financial Aid, the initial award will be revised based on the new information. It is not unusual for students to receive multiple award revisions over the course of the application process as additional documentation is submitted.

Step 4: Other Application Requirements

Some students may need to submit additional documentation. This information will be requested by email and can be viewed by the student by accessing My Financial Aid and viewing the Documents tab:

Downloadable versions of these documents are available from our forms library. IRS Tax Transcripts may be requested by the filer at Telephone requests may be made at 1-800-908-9946 or the filer may complete and mail IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript for Tax Return.

For student loan questions: